Summer has arrived and that means beaches, pool parties, lake trips, concerts and... extra ear protection. I know that last one probably threw you off, but it's so important to be able to enjoy all of the best summer activities for years to come. This article will explain the importance of extra ear protection during this fun and hot season.
Activities that Harm Our Ears
- Swimming: Swimming isn't necessarily bad for our ears, but swimmers ear does come into concern and it can ruin the fun really fast. It is important to make sure you completely dry your ears with your towel when getting out of the water. Ear plugs are also a great resource to use while in the pool. Any excess water can lead to swimmers ear and no one wants to deal with that in the middle of all of this heat!
- Concerts: One of the best parts about summer is all the concerts that are happening! As fun and exciting as they are, the loud music can really cause some damage to your ears and your ability to hear. It may seem dorky to wear headphones to a concert, but you won't be laughing when you have hearing loss. Go and enjoy the music, just be aware of how loud it is.
- The Heat: This may sound crazy but when the weather starts warming up it is common for allergies to kick in. OTC medicine should help but if it doesn't seem to be getting any better, see a doctor. No one wants to start the summer off with an ear infection.
Symptoms of Swimmer's Ear
- pain that worsens when pulling on the ear
- a feeling that the ear is full
- decreased hearing
- redness and swelling of the skin around the ear
If taken to the doctor, they will most likely carefully clean out your ear canal, removing any excess fluid. A prescription can be prescribed to fight the infection and reduce pain.
It usually takes about a week for the symptoms to go away and it's best to stay dry! It is also important to keep any objects out of the ear, such as headphones, to keep from pushing the water back any further and causing more damage.
Wondering what the best way is to keep your ears clean this summer and help avoid infections? Earwax MD is a fast and easy solution! It is available on our website, Amazon and CVS. You and your ears won't regret it.
It's the best time of the year, don't let your ears get in the way of your fun! Take extra precautions when necessary and remember this article when you're heading to a body of water or a loud concert. Enjoy the sun!